Monday, July 20, 2009

Inside The Belly Of The Whale: Session 5


I went into the studio on wednesday to begin tracking electric guitar parts. For me, this is a little bit of heaven... alone with guitars and amps and endless possibilities. I set out to track 2 songs: Leviathan and Long Dark Night. For the most part, I knew going in what I wanted to track for each song and how I was going to achieve those sounds. Of the new record material, these are the two songs that are most rehearsed and more prepared. The bonus was The Contented Tune (There Is A Light) I finished the other 2 rather quickly, so I used the remaining time to create the textures I'd been hearing for The Contented Tune. Here's a geeky play-by play:




Leviathan - really straight forward Black Sabbath meets Maiden style tones, both clean and dirty. No solos for this track. The main rhythm sounds are Marshall Plexis: The right side is a just the bright channel gained out, the left is the same amp with the channels jumpered and slight boost. These sounds hold down my portion of the rhythm. My part in the bridge is sparse, and just a clean fender. A little delay and verb on the fender, and away we go. Les Paul for all the dirty parts, strat for the clean. This clip is from the middle of the song, so you can hear the bridge cleans and the Maiden Madness


Leviathan Clip


Long Dark Night - My parts are even more sparse on this tune. The acoustics and piano hold down the majority of the chordal content here, and will be added later. The chorus rhythm is double: a cleaner fender deluxe with the strat and an AC30 slightly breaking up with a Les Paul. Each has a hefty amount of delay for character. The bridge is that same AC30 on one side and my plexi bright channel tone from Leviathan on the other... this tone carries the lead line at the end. The gain is slightly less than on Leviathan and I'm not hitting the notes with as much gusto. There are also some textures provided by a flanged clean guitar with delay and tons of verb...and a slide. This clip is from the end of the song, where all the parts meet


Long Dark Night Clip


The Contented Tune (There Is A Light) - This one was just magic. I'm not at all trying to cop an Edge-like delay, but looking for a similar swirling delay. The right side is a chorused, delayed Plexi set a to just barely break up. The left side is an AC30 gained out with flanger and massive delays. Both tracked with the Les Paul. That's just the prechorus section. The chorus are much more of The Who meets Marc Ford style tones. The left is a Matchless Chieftain gained out with the mids pushed, and the right is my plexi sound again (lovin' the plexi these days). This clip will show off all the parts nicely.


The Contented Tune Clip


No comments:

Post a Comment